Firefighter Dads Part Deux

If you’ve read my original post entitled “Firefighter Dads” some of this may sound familiar, but as I’ve said before this blog is a bit of therapy for me so it is in this vein that I revisit this topic.

I didn’t win any parenting awards the other day. As a matter of fact I think that I basically just ensured my kids were relatively safe and didn’t destroy anything too badly. I was home, but I wasn’t really present. The call gods had been cruel the night before when I had worked and we didn’t get much sleep. Even the time we were in the rack I was tossing and turning, thinking about stuff, throwing pillows at the guys that snore. Maybe an hour and half is what I got. Then it was off to home to let my mother-in-law get to work. As I have mentioned in my first post my wife and I are truly blessed to have a lot of help and support from both our sets of parents. Since my in-laws live only about 10 minutes from us they often come to our house when my wife leaves for work at 0600 and stay with my kids until I get home from work around 0845 or so. Then it’s off to work for them for a full day. It sure seems that on these occasions the call gods were particularly vengeful the night before.

My MIL had already gotten the girls up and dressed, fed them and done their hair for me (thankfully). They were all gathered at the kitchen table coloring when I walked in. My MIL greeted me first and the girls turned around, broke into huge smiles and ran to me for their hugs and kisses. I love that part of coming home. I love seeing their excitement to see me, of me seeing them and their eagerness to tell me everything they had done in the 24 hours I was gone. Unfortunately, that feeling can’t last all day when I feel like I was run over by a truck. My MIL had to get going so she gave me the run-down on what had transpired in the couple hours that she had been there, relayed a couple things from my wife and was out the door to work. As I closed the front door I almost felt the panic set in. “I feel like shit,” I thought. “How am I going to make it?” I made some coffee, sat down and started coloring with the girls and made up my mind I was going to be fine today. Unfortunately the girls had other plans for me.

For anyone that hasn’t read the first installment or is new to the blog my girls are 4 and 3. They are both very high-energy and active girls. They take after their mother in that way, and would much rather be out doing something or playing than sitting still. They are also both very independent for their ages and are what I guess you would called “strong-willed”. I blame that on my wife too. Of course, she blames that on me. Well, it didn’t take long before a disagreement over a crayon led to an injurious occurrence, which I didn’t see because I was refilling my coffee. That led to my oldest wailing at the top of her lungs, which led to my youngest getting Tabasco on her tongue, our preferred method of “non-contact” discipline. Which in turn led to her wailing at the top of her lungs. I felt my nerves unravelling one by one like the strings that Tom was hanging onto while Jerry sat there watching and waving and Spike awaited underneath (that’s a Tom & Jerry cartoon reference there, in case anyone didn’t get it). Yet, at this point I took a deep breath, took a drink of coffee, burned my mouth, turned and spit it into the sink, and stood there with my back to the two screaming bobbsey twins, and just breathed for a few seconds. I turned back around and settled that particular argument and calmed both my daughters. That was the last bit of actual decent parenting I think I did that day.

The crayon dispute set the tone for the day. After showering and cleaning up I gathered the girls and put them in the car. i had some errands to run and me and my Lieutenant had agreed to meet for lunch later on. So we get to the first store and the girls decide that while I’m looking at a couple products they wanted to play tag in the aisles. I didn’t really mind. The store wasn’t crowded and the aisles were large. Not large enough, evidently, because soon thereafter I hear a crash from the next aisle over. Even quicker two little girls reappear at my side with wide eyes and strangely quiet mouths. I go to investigate and find out that my beautiful off-spring have pulled over one of those free standing cardboard product stands filled with post-it note packages. “Freakin’ great,” I thought. I started correcting the girls and telling them they had to clean up the mess when a salesperson came over and began doing it for them. I apologized and told him I’d have the girls clean it up. He stuck to his corporate training and cheerfully said it was ok and that it happened all the time. “Yeah right,” my inner monologue quipped, but I was too tired, embarrassed and frustrated to insist he allow them to make amends. Teaching moment number 1 foregone.

So then we head to the local mall for another errand. This mall is also where my LT and I were going to meet for lunch and it had the added benefit of having a large play area for the kids, so I thought they could burn some energy there for a while. So we get to store #2, a computer store, and I have “the talk” with them outside. “No touching anything. Stay right by me. No playing tag or running around. This is very expensive stuff, we can’t break it,” etc. Then we went in. At first everything was ok. Then,  as I’m standing at a large table filled with probably 10 display model computers and talking with the sales guy, all the computers go black at once and an ear-piercing alarm starts sounding. I look down and only my youngest daughter is visible, hands over ears looking up at me with a look of shock on her face. Almost immediately my eldest came scurrying out from underneath the table, jumped to her feet, hid behind my legs and wouldn’t come out. The sales guy crawled under the table, plugged the power-strip back in and reset the anti-theft device before crawling back out and rejoining me. For the second time in an hour I made one of my daughters apologize to a sales guy. Then we left and I had “The Talk, Part Deux” outside the store. We then made our way to the play area.

The play area actually went fine, except for me dozing off for a minute and waking up after my head hit the decorative metal fence behind the bench I was sitting on while “watching” the girls play. I got a text from my LT and we made our way to the restaurant. That actually went fine too. My LT has 3 girls, ages 3 – 5, so he’s used to the craziness and was actually a huge help during lunch. Other than the typical spills and mess, we finished up and left without much incident. Even the walk back out to our cars was ok. They actually got into the car, sat in their car seats and waited patiently while we finished up our discussion about a couple work topics. As I was backing out of the parking spot my youngest used her particularly annoying screech to yell, “Daaaaaaaaaaaddddddddyyyyyyyyyy!” “What, honey,” I half-grumbled. “Aren’t you dunna buttle us?” I slammed on the brakes. Put the car in park. Jumped out. Waved to the lady waiting to take my spot. And then actually secured my girls into their personal restraint systems. “Shit!” my inner monologue shouted again. “I need a nap.”

The endorphin rush managed to get me home without falling asleep. Then I made a huge mistake. I agreed to let them watch some TV. I thought I could kind of lay on the couch with them and take a snooze in relative safety. That was the plan, anyway. The constant hitting, screaming, pushing, yelling and general whining didn’t allow that plan to be seen to fruition however. It was at that point I mentally checked out for the rest of the day. I had 5 1/2 hours until bed time and 7 hours until my wife got home. “I’m done. I don’t care. As long as they’re alive when [my wife] gets home, I don’t care what else happens,” I said to myself.

And that’s pretty much what happened the rest of the day. Except for physically intervening in some particularly violent disagreements and doing some yelling, I did nothing to build-into my children for the rest of our time together that day. Again, if you’ve read the first post, the day I described above was pretty much the exact opposite of what that post was about. I hate those kinds of days. I hate feeling exhausted, angry, frayed, frustrated all at the same time and knowing that my kids are being gypped out of a quality day with their dad. It also pisses me off when I read comments by uninformed people who evidently feel we are all overpaid, do nothing but sit on our butts and sleep all night while getting paid, and pretty much rip-off the tax paying citizen. They never even consider times like this. Then agin, maybe firefighter dads (and moms) aren’t that much different than their white-collar counterparts who spend too much time at the office and not enough time at home. I dunno. I just hope I don’t screw them up too much. I love them too much.

Until next time,

Get some sleep and stay safe!


One comment on “Firefighter Dads Part Deux

  1. miahmdparash says:


    It’s a nice article it will help my research.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s